This week on the big show, Fingers and Tracy discuss Chris Christie’s talk radio try out, the debunking of History Channel’s Amelia Earhart doc, and Kid Rock’s potential Senate bid. Ashe Schow joins us to talk about what the Department of Education is up to in regards to campus sexaul assault policies.

Chris Christie’s time as New Jersey Governor is drawing to a close, so Chris is looking for his next gig. He tried his hand at hosting a sports talk radio show, and got a taste of good old Jersey love from one caller.

People in Jersey were pissed at the Governor because he sat his rather sizable behind on a beach in a state park that was closed to the public because of a government shutdown. From the Washington Post:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) would like you to know that he definitely did not get a tan this weekend.

Yes, Christie told reporters at a Sunday news conference in Trenton, his family was staying in the state-owned beach house at Island Beach State Park over the July 4 weekend — even though the park was closed to the public amid a statewide government shutdown.

He had been unapologetic about that gubernatorial perk the day before: “That’s the way it goes,” Christie said Saturday. “Run for governor, and you can have the residence.”

And, yes, he had joined his family at said state-owned beach house, flying between the barrier island and Trenton using a state helicopter. But when asked if he got any sun, Christie was clear.

“I didn’t,” he said Sunday, according to the Newark Star-Ledger. “I didn’t get any sun today.”

Poor thing.

And now for the photoshops!

 

We think he’ll make a fine sports radio host. Good luck Chris!

The Amelia Earhart documentary that I was stoked about turned out to be based upon the flimsiest of evidence. From The Guardian:

Claims made in a US documentary that the pioneering aviator Amelia Earhartcrash-landed on the Marshall Islands in the Pacific Ocean and was taken prisoner by the Japanese appear to have been proved false by a photograph unearthed in a travel book.

The History Channel documentary, Amelia Earhart: The Lost Evidence, which aired in the US on Sunday, made the claim that the American and her navigator, Fred Noonan, ended up in Japanese custody based on a photograph discovered in the US national archives that purported to show them standing at a harbour on one of the islands.

The film said the image “may hold the key to solving one of history’s all-time greatest mysteries” and suggested it disproved the widely accepted theory that Earhart and Noonan disappeared over the western Pacific on 2 July 1937 near the end of their attempt at a history-making flight around the world.

But serious doubts now surround the film’s premise after a Tokyo-based blogger unearthed the same photograph in the archives of the National Diet Library, Japan’s national library.

 

Kota Yamano, a military history blogger who unearthed the Japanese photograph, said it took him just 30 minutes to effectively debunk the documentary’s central claim.

We expected more from you History Channel. Although seeing as you air Ancient Aliens, maybe we shouldn’t have.

This reminds me of the scandal involving Antiques Roadshow. From ABC News ‘Antiques Roadshow’ Dealers Accused of Fraud’

A pair of antiques dealers looking to gain a bit of exposure by going on a public television program got more than they bargained for.

The pair were indicted Thursday on federal mail and wire fraud charges, accused of staging phony appraisals on the program Antiques Roadshow to enhance their reputations as experts in Civil War-era weapons and military artifacts.

Russ Pritchard III, 37, and George Juno, 40, allegedly cashed in on the reputation they developed on the program to make hundreds of thousands of dollars by defrauding the descendants of Civil War veterans to acquire artifacts at a fraction of their value.

If convicted, Pritchard, 37, could face up to 60 years in prison and $2.75 million in fines. Juno could face as much as 45 years in prison and fines of $2.25 million if found guilty.

Ashe Schow joined us to talk about the new approach the Department of Education is taking in regards to campus rape policies. Via the New York Times:

In recent years, on campus after campus, from the University of Virginia to Columbia University, from Duke to Stanford, higher education has been roiled by high-profile cases of sexual assault accusations. Now Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is stepping into that maelstrom. On Thursday, she will meet in private with women who say they were assaulted, accused students and their families, advocates for both sides and higher education officials, the first step in a contentious effort to re-examine policies of President Barack Obama, who made expansive use of his powers to investigate the way universities and colleges handle sexual violence.

How university and college administrations have dealt with campus sexual misconduct charges has become one of the most volatile issues in higher education, with many women saying higher education leaders have not taken their trauma seriously. But the Obama administration’s response sparked a backlash, not just from the accused and their families but from well-regarded lawschool professors who say new rules went too far.

 In an interview previewing her plans, Ms. Jackson, who heads the Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights and organized Thursday’s sessions, made clear that she believes investigations under the 1972 law known as Title IX have gone deeply awry. A sexual assault survivor herself, she said she sees “a red flag that something’s not quite right” — and that the rights of accused students have too often been ignored.
It’s about time that something was done about these insane policies that trampled the due process rights of accused students.
Ashe also talked about her coverage of a big win for a falsely accused Allegheny College student for The Federalist:

n a win for accused students, Allegheny College in Pennsylvania has settled with a student it expelled for allegedly sexually assaulting a fellow student. The expelled student, identified in court documents as John Doe, reached an agreement with Allegheny following mediation in May, which the judge in the case, Barbara Rothstein, had ordered. On Friday, July 7, a stipulation for dismissal was filed, but without settlement details.

Neither Allegheny nor John’s attorney responded to a Federalist request for more information.

 John’s claims against Allegheny were some of the most egregious I have ever seen. John claimed in this lawsuit that Allegheny didn’t even provide him with the details of the accusation against him until one day before his appeal hearing. He received no hearing prior to that, but was still secretly determined responsible for sexual assault.
Will Kid Rock be running for a Michigan senate seat next year? From Reuters:

Recording star Kid Rock, an outspoken supporter of Republican President Donald Trump, hinted in website and social media messages on Wednesday that he intends to run for the U.S. Senate in 2018, promising a “major announcement” to come soon.

The 46-year-old Michigan native drew attention on Twitter and his Facebook page to a “Kid Rock ’18 for U.S. Senate” website. It featured a photo of the goateed singer-songwriter wearing a leather jacket, dark glasses and white fedora, seated in a plush, star-spangled chair beside a stuffed deer above the tagline: “Are you scared?”

Hey Mr. Rock, if you’re reading this, Fingers is interested in going door to door for you. Hit him up!

And finally, we can’t seem to go a full week without having to talk about someone over at CNN. This time it’s Alisyn Camerota who had to publicly proclaim that she is quitting twitter because it’s just too dang mean. Via The Blaze:

CNN anchor Alisyn Camerota announced Wednesday that she is “breaking up” with Twitter because the social media platform has become “mean.”

Camerota, co-host of the cable network’s morning program “New Day,” explained the reason for her decision in an opinion piece on CNN.com. Camerota specifically addressed the “trolls,” or anonymous users who spew insults and criticisms they likely wouldn’t make otherwise.

“Dear Twitter [attn: trolls] it’s over. I’m breaking up with you. I know, it’s sad. We’ve been together a long time,” Camerota wrote.

“Remember my first tweet in May 2009? ‘Happy Mother’s Day!’ My God, listen to how hopeful I sounded,” the CNN anchor added.

Camerota went on to note how different the tone on Twitter is today than when she sent her first tweet eight years ago.

“Back then, I believed your promises — that you’d help me connect with people, that you’d be an agent for good in the world, that you’d get my messages out, that you’d help build a community. Back then, you’d surprise me with flower emojis and thoughtful comments. Back then, it was still thrilling to check in with you every day to see how many new followers you’d brought me. Those were the days,” Camerota recalled.

But, the CNN anchor acknowledged, “something’s happened.”

The poor, poor dear. We do hope that she can find a way to piece her life back together.